Last week a friend shared this recipe on Facebook from the Mouthful of Yum page. I book marked it and forgot about it. I can't make chocolate bars like this when it's just me at home, other wise I eat the whole pan!
Last week was the first night of the 2013 Paddler's Challenge so I decided this would be a good treat to take to share. It's no bake, so no turning on the oven and heating up the house. Perfect. Although I was a little worried they'd melt in the kayak before they could be eaten. Yeah, shouldn't have worried about that.
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
What to do:
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat
- Add brown sugar and vanilla
- Mix in oats
- Press half of mixture into 9x9 greased pan (I used parchment paper - then I can just lift the finished product out)
- Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in heavy saucepan over low heat
- Stir frequently until smooth
- Pour chocolate mixture over crust in pan
- Crumble remaining oat mixture over top of the chocolate layer, pressing in gently
- Cover and refridgerate for 2-3 hours
They were really good. I like peanut butter and chocolate together (hello peanut butter cups) so there was no question that I would like these. They were quick and simple to make, and I only had two saucepans to wash up.