Remember all those blackberries? I didn't use them all in the pie. I still had a cup or so left. So yesterday I made blackberry scones.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled and cut into squares
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blackberries
- tbsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Prepare baking sheet (line with parchment paper or a silpat sheet)
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Using fingertips rub butter into flour mix until mixture is sandy.
- Combine milk and vanilla
- Add to flour mixture
- Add blackberries and knead gently into the dough. My blackberries were over-ripe so they were very squishy. If you don't have fresh blackberries, frozen ones will work too and they won't squish everywhere.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and flatten into circle about 3/4" thick
- Cut into 6 triangles (I cut 8 smaller triangles)
- Place scones on baking sheet
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown (my blackberries had squished so much that the dough was purple so there was no telling if they were golden brown or not)
Best served warm with a little bit of butter and a cup of tea.
Or with a dollop of whipped cream.